Dear YWCA Berkeley/Oakland family,
As we continue to find a new “normal,” between the ongoing public health crisis and the momentum behind the Movement for Black Lives, we hope that you will stay in touch with us virtually, and hopefully in person when it is safe to do so.
- Anti-Racism resources and ways to start to take action CLICK HERE!
- Our Programs are still happening online! CLICK HERE to search by program for more details and contact information.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding Room Rentals please email firstname.lastname@example.org. (We will not be not be accepting any new rentals at this time.)
The YWCA is committed to continuing our work of Empowering Women and Eliminating Racism, and for now this will continue online. Our building still remains closed to the public, while our programs meet virtually. Thank you.
Resources for you and your community
- Alameda County Public Health’s website
- Alameda County Food Bank Resources
- What’s Open in Downtown Berkeley?
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 updates
- Check out the California Department of Public Health’s website for up-to-date information on COVID-19 in our region. (Please note: at the time of writing the guidance on these sites if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 is to call your doctor or an urgent care clinic and seek their advice.)
Workers Rights in California
If your employment has been impacted, visit the California Labor & Workforce Development Agency website to review what benefits are available to you:
- If you lost your job or had reduced hours for reasons related to COVID-19 you may qualify for unemployment insurance. File A Claim Here
- If you are unable to work due to medical quarantine or illness related to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional) you may qualify for Disability Insurance. File a claim here
- If you or a family member are sick or for preventative care when civil authorities recommend quarantine you may qualify for paid sick leave. File a Claim Here
- If you are unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional) you may qualify for Paid Family Leave. File A Claim Here
Undocumented People living in California
- California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance resource list: https://ciyja.org/covid19/
- Coronavirus Resource Kit: Broken down by state, though not all states covered. From Equality Labs.
- Learning to Live with Coronavirus: The Daily Podcast episode that covers public transportation, supermarkets, and more. (Link is with Spotify)
- Get The Facts Straight: short video on Coronavirus. Information about the coronavirus outbreak is spreading fast, but what do we actually know about the illness? CBC News medical contributor and family physician Dr. Peter Lin breaks down the facts about what it is, where it came from, how it spreads and what you can do to protect yourself.
- Legal Representation: Common Q&A About Legal Representation & COVID-19
- CDC Summary on workplace, school, home safety measures
- Crisis Planning Checklist
- Treating Yellow Peril: Resources to Address Coronavirus Racism
- Here are some tips on ways to support your emotional and behavioral health in the face of heightened anxiety and the potential for quarantine and isolation
- Mental Health Resources list
- Check out this podcast by Healing Justice titled Coronavirus: Wisdom from a Social Justice Lens (+ the amazing resource list on their website)
Mutual Aid Resources:
- Berkeley Mutual Aid is connecting those who can help to those in need: https://www.berkeleymutualaid.org/need-asssitance
- Funded by A Just East Bay Response Fund: https://www.ebcf.org/covid-19-fund/
- Mutual Aid Google Docs created by Walela Nehanda:
Education & Curriculum for Kids During Social Distancing
- What Every Kid Needs to Know about the Novel Coronavirus: Webinar
- Partner State Parks of Save the Redwoods League: http://ports.parks.ca.gov/
- Playworks’ Play-Based Activities
- Afrocentric Homeschooling in Black Families
What can you do to help?
Support small businesses
Advocate and call your legislators
Stay connected with us on social media!