Are you interested in being more involved with your local community? Would you like to organize around social issues that you care about and take action? Do you desire to gain knowledge around social movements?
We Welcome YOU to our YWCA Berkeley/Oakland Civic Engagement Program!
In continuation of our prior YWCA Advocacy & Racial Justice Programs here at the YWCA Berkeley/Oakland, the new Civic Engagement Program will run as a group-based internship program, consisting of UC Berkeley students, community college students, community members, and system-impacted community members. As a group, we will focus on deepening our knowledge and understanding around voting rights and civic engagement, while also learning about Indigenous & Black Liberation Movements throughout US History.
The Civic Engagement Cohort will work on leadership, advocacy, and grassroots organizing skills through political education, professional lobbying, direct action, workshops, trainings, and more!
Focus & Goals of Civic Engagement Program:
– Uplift legislative priorities that are directly related to racial & gender equity.
– Amplify the voices of those directly impacted by systemic oppressions in order to meaningfully engage in the struggle for access, equity, and collective liberation.
– Demystify the legislative process & civic engagement process.
– Explore how grassroots movement combined with policy can be used as a tool for racial justice and collective liberation.
– Engage in political trainings, workshops, and education modules that are centered around issues and topics that program members identify are significant & impactful to themselves & their communities.
– Deepen our knowledge and understanding of the history of white supremacy and systemic racism in the United States.
– Familiarize ourselves with ongoing liberation movements and initiatives led by Black, Indigenous, Native, Queer, & Trans Communities of Color.
– Build community relationships and increase overall community engagement.
– Commit to volunteering with our Community Partners and Collaborators based on available opportunities and pressing community needs.
Our Signature YWCA Events, Campaigns, and Community-Based Projects Include:
– Week Without Violence (WWV)
– Stand Against Racism
– YWCA’s Race Against Racism Fundraiser
– Shadow Day
Resources & Former Projects:
– Anti-Racism Resources Page
– Rest, Resistance, and Resilience during COVID-19 ZINE
All our programs operate through a gender and racial justice lens with the goal of eliminating racism and empowering women*.
*Our definition of women is inclusive of gender non-conforming peoples & trans peoples.