Our three goals guiding all our work are the elimination of racism, the economic empowerment of women and the development of leaders.
We invite you to become a member, attend classes or volunteer in our many programs in: mentoring, leadership development, financial literacy, working with youth and empowerment. To support us, you can make tax-deductible donations through PayPal. If you would like to join our membership or newsletter, we hope you will enroll today. Thank you!
The YWCA will be closed on the following dates:
- Monday, September 1: Labor Day holiday
- Tuesday, November 11: Veterans’ Day holiday
- Thursday-Friday, November 27-28: Thanksgiving Day holiday
- Winter Holiday Break: Closed December 22, 2014 through January 2, 2015
Join us for our 7th ANNUAL YWCA BERKELEY/OAKLAND YOUNG WOMEN AND MONEY CONFERENCE being held on SATURDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2014! This conference will help you gain financial independence and success.
“Before I had a lot of fear about my finances and just avoided it because it was so overwhelming and now I have the courage to start getting them under control.” – 2012 Participant
“This conference has changed my relationship and attitude towards money! I’m excited to start!” – 2012 Participant
“Keep the conferences coming because they really help and inspire!” – 2012 Participant
- Fantastic Keynote Speakers
- Two workshops of your choice
- 3-course lunch
- Raffle prizes
- Financial Resources and giveaways
- And more!
- Chances to win many great prizes including $100 Target Gift Card
Have a high school student shadow YOU for a day! Cal students apply now to be a mentor!
- Live and Silent Auction
- Hors d’oeuvres
- No host Bar
- Door prizes
OCTOBER 2014 What is Week Without Violence? Imagine a second…a minute…an hour…a WEEK WITHOUT VIOLENCE in our world! The YWCA Week Without Violence is an international campaign preventing violence and highlighting practical, sustainable alternatives to end it. Participate by visiting the YWCA all week — everyone is welcome to join us in our campaign to stop violence!
ALL WEEK ALL EVENTS ARE FREE! 2013 (last year schedule)
- Tues Oct 8: 11AM – Self Defense Seminar by UCPD
- Wed Oct 9: 11AM – Clothesline Project
- Wed Oct 9: 12PM – Whistle Rally on Sproul – free whistles
- Wed Oct 9: 3PM – Variety Hour for Peace with speakers and performances by ULAP band, Take Back the Night, Singaporean singer and more
- Wed Oct 9: 6pm - ”Invisible War” Documentary, Sundance Winner
- Thur Oct 10: 10:30AM – Healthy Kids Food Workshop
*Art Exhibits and Performances *Food Workshops *Interactive Pledge Boards *Peace Pops & Conscious Candy *Ribbons *Buttons *Refreshments
*All events are held at the YWCA at 2600 Bancroft Way in Berkeley*
WEEK WITHOUT VIOLENCE SCHEDULE 2013 (last year schedule):
TUES OCT 8: Breaking the Cycle of Male Violence11 am – 12 noon
- Self Defense Seminar by UC Police Dept.: Free raffle – pepper spray. Free snacks
- Make a pledge on the “Real Men Don’t Hit” Pledge Board
- Hall of Fame: Influential Men of Peace Exhibit
- “Bathroom Project” Exhibition: Anonymous survey responses from public bathroom walls related to questions about sexual and physical violence
WED OCT 9: Confronting Violence Against Women
- Clothesline Project: Design a t-shirt expressing your feelings on domestic violence
- Free Purple (Domestic Violence) and Pink (Breast Cancer) Awareness ribbons, Peace Pops, Resource giveaways
- Whistle Rally on Sproul: Get free whistles and rally for ending the violence against women
3 – 4:30 pm
- Variety Hour for Peace: Free snacks! Performances and speakers by Singaporean guitarist, ULAP band, Take Back the Night, and more.
6 – 8 pm
- “Invisible War” Movie Screening: Free snacks! Sundance Winner Documentary – an investigative documentary about the epidemic of rape of soldiers within the US military. Donations requested and will be given to the O’ahu YWCA veteran women’s program.
THURS OCT 10: Protecting Our Children / Making Our Schools Safer10:30 am – 12 noon
- Food Workshop: Healthy Kids and Our Future held at The Centre program – presentation on food facts & nutrition and healthy food stations
- Peaceful Art Exhibit by local elementary school students
- Internet resources, Peace Pops and other giveaways
FRI OCT 11: Eliminating Racism and Hate Crimes11 am – 2 pm
- Interactive Poster Party: Network with eliminating racism leaders and interact with poster displays
- Free Raffle every 20 minutes