Volunteers Needed All Year Long!Contatcs us during office hours, or sign-up online using the forms below the description. Regular Office Hours: *currently via e-mail only* Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9AM – 2PM Summer: Wednesdays only 10AM-3PM Contact E-Mail: email@example.com This program is free to all international members with a one-year membership in the YWCA (of $20). PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE MEMBERSHIP BEFORE SPEAKING OR MEETING WITH THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR.
English In Action Program (EIA): Volunteer tutors meet with one or more international partners at least one hour each week to converse casually, increasing participants’ competency in the English language. These meetings can take place at your convenience.
English-in-Action (EIA) is part of a nationwide program in which volunteers give their time tutoring University of California students, visiting scholars and their partners in English on a one-to-one basis or sometimes in a small group. Students at UC Berkeley Extension, adult school, local community colleges or private colleges may apply but cannot be given priority.
The program is volunteer-based. Both visitors and volunteers benefit from this group: visitors benefit by increasing their proficiency in English and their understanding of the American way of life. Volunteers enjoy the fulfillment that comes from providing someone with an invaluable skill and the unique opportunity to know someone from another culture. Both visitors and volunteers alike form a special relationship based on mutual respect and learning.
What you should expect in this program:
- A partner and a volunteer meet once a week, for one hour. The time and place can be whatever works best for their schedule.
- Attend weekly sessions regularly, and if unable to attend please call or email your partner in advance.
- Tell your friends! If you know someone who may benefit, or wants to volunteer, pass on this program info.
- Please notify partner and the English In Action (EIA) office of any change of address or contact information.
- Any International Partner must be a registered member of the YWCA, which is $20/year. This money goes to the YWCA, which supports the administrative costs of the English In Action program.
For International Visitors: To practice English and learn about American culture.
For Volunteers: Help international visitors and their families improve their English conversational skills and understanding of American life. While international partners gain valuable practice speaking English, you can meet people from other cultures and build friendships.
Check out the latest newsletter from English in Action!EIA Spring 2020 Newsletter (1)