Volunteers Needed All Year Long!Contact us during office hours, or sign-up online using the forms below the description. Regular Office Hours: *currently via e-mail only* Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9AM – 2PM Contact E-Mail: email@example.com This program is free to all international members with a one-year membership in the YWCA (of $20). PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE MEMBERSHIP BEFORE SPEAKING OR MEETING WITH THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR.
English In Action (EIA) is part of a nationwide program in which volunteers meet with UC Berkeley students, visiting scholars and their partners, students from adult school and local community colleges, as well as community members, who seek to improve competency in the English language.
Volunteers meet with their international partners at least one hour each week to practice English conversation on a one-to-one basis or sometimes in a small group.
Both volunteers and international partners benefit from EIA! Volunteers enjoy the fulfillment that comes from providing someone with an invaluable skill and the unique opportunity to know someone from another culture. International partners benefit by increasing their proficiency in English and their understanding of the American way of life. Both volunteers and international partners alike form a special relationship based on mutual respect and learning.
What you should expect in this program:
- A partner and a volunteer meet once a week, for one hour. The time and place can be whatever works best for their schedule.
- If you are unable to meet at any given week, please call or email your partner in advance.
- Tell your friends! If you know someone who may benefit, or wants to volunteer, pass on this program info.
- Please notify partner and the English In Action (EIA) office of any change of address or contact information.
- Any International Partner must be a registered member of the YWCA, which is $20/year. This money goes to the YWCA, which supports the administrative costs of the English In Action program.
For International Partners: To practice English and learn about American culture.
For Volunteers: Help international visitors and their families improve their English conversational skills and understanding of American life. While international partners gain valuable practice speaking English, you can meet people from other cultures and build friendships.
Check out the latest newsletter from English in Action!EIA Spring 2020 Newsletter (1)