History of YWCA Berkeley/Oakland
What is now YWCA Berkeley/Oakland was founded on March 10, 1889 by a group of UC Berkeley women. Students met frequently on campus to converse and gather.
Early YWCA leaders focused on making life better for women via a strong underpinning of social justice principles. Our vision, “peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all people” has endured through more than a century and a half of YWCA work.
-
The University YWCA (now YWCA Berkeley/Oakland) initially started on campus, with a group of women meeting in the office of George H. Howison’s office in North Hall. Students also met frequently by the Campanile and in the Ladies’ Room of North Hall. In January 1893, Stiles Hall provided a place for YWCA members.
-
In 1920, “The Cottage”, designed by Julia Morgan, became the home of the University YWCA.
-
Due to UC Berkeley campus expansions, we said goodbye to the Cottage and hosted a capital campaign for $200,000 to build our new building on the 2600 Bancroft lot. This building designed for us by esteemed architect Joseph Eshrick, along with a few select pieces of furniture are still being used for the same purpose today.
-
After absorbing the YWCA Oakland branch, we expanded our goals to the greater Berkeley and Oakland communities, officially renaming ourselves the YWCA Berkeley/Oakland.
-
The ONLY link we have with the YMCA was that the London women who founded YWCA had husbands that were active members in the YMCA which had been founded a short time before. The women asked, “How can we elevate the women in our midst?” and YWCA was born.